Bridging the gap between inspiration and recognition
HERE YE HERE YE!!!
FUTURE DEAD ARTISTS (FDA) is having an open call for emerging, mid-career, and established visual artists and photographers in the Atlanta area to participate in their group exhibition, DEAD RINGER.
What is a dead ringer exactly? Well, since you asked, a dead ringer is a person or thing that seems exactly like someone or something else. For example "I bought my girl a ring that was a dead ringer to a real diamond one. She'll never know the difference." Now I'm not so sure that that is a good idea but guys if you ever do this then you might just be the dead one.
Now back to the show.
For what seems like forever painters have used photography as a source of inspiration. I know I'm good for taking a screenshot of an image that captures my eye. But more times than not the source material is rarely acknowledged as being a work of art in its own right. This exhibition aims to change that by bridging the gap between inspiration and recognition. All visual artists will collaborate with a photographer of their choosing by creating works inspired by pre-existing or new images collaborated between by the painter and paired photographer. During the show the painting and the photograph will be hung side by side.
Sounds like a dope show you'd like to be a part of? Then please submit your work by April 21, 2017, to be considered. Read below for more information on how you can apply.
ENTRY DEADLINE: Friday, April 21, 2017, by 11:59 pm
NOTIFICATIONS SENT: Thursday, April 27, 2017
ARTWORK HANGING: Friday June 2, 2017 from 2-5 pm
OPENING RECEPTION: Saturday, June 3, 2017 from 7-11pm
ARTWORK BREAKDOWN: Sunday, June 4, 2017 from 2-5pm
MURMUR MEDIA- Art Gallery
100 Broad St. SW Atlanta, GA
All works will be selected by FDA members, EuGene Byrd, and Shon Pittman .
- All works must be original and created by the artist within the last year
- Artists/Photographers may submit up to 5 images that reflect a cohesive style
- Artists/Photographers must be at least 18 years of age.
- Each artist will be paired with a photographer of their choosing (and vice versa)
- All works must be for sale
- All submissions must be made online to email@example.com
- Include "DEAD RINGER Submission" in the Subject Box
- Attach up to 5 images directly to the email
- Include name and contact information
- Include artist bio/statement
- Include social media and/or website information
- Include name and social media of suggested artist or photographer you plan to be paired with
- Acceptance emails will be sent out Thursday, April 27th
- Each pairing will display in a 8 ft. wall space
- It is up to the pair to coordinate how that space will be filled
- All work must arrive professionally framed, wired, and ready to hang
- Artists/photographers are responsible for delivery, hanging, and breakdown of artwork
- Artists/Photographers will keep 80% of sales
Direct all questions and concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org or text 404.578.6341
We look forward to seeing your submission to DEAD RINGER!